University of Michigan Dearborn, May, 2010.
B.A. in Elementary Education
Certification: Elementary Education
Overall GPA: 3.79 Education GPA: 4.0.
Passed MTTC for both Social Studies and ELA (October 2009).
Henry Ford Community College, December, 1996.
Associate Degree in Liberal Arts
Substitute Teacher (February 2009-present)
Professional Education Services Group
Student Teaching—3rd grade (January 4, 2010-April 23, 2010)
Randall Elementary School
● Created and implemented a literature-based Social Studies unit emphasizing the ways in which individual action in history affected life in Michigan today.
● Developed and taught “compare and contrast” and “folktale” writing units.
● Designed interactive bulletin boards to enhance literacy.
● A Teacher’s Edition was used for the Everyday Math program; however, the cooperating teacher and I constituted math groups and used a “center-like” approach in order to gain a more targeted differentiation.
● Constructed a month-long integrated Language Arts and Social Studies unit using Michigan author Holling C. Holling’s Paddle-to-the-sea.
● Facilitated guided reading groups of multiple levels.
Practicums (105 hours). Observed classrooms from 1st-7th grade. Created lessons and taught in one-on-one, small group, and whole group situations. These lessons included GLCE in ELA (text-to-text connections, parts of a nonfiction text), science inquiry (animal needs and classification), and math (exponential decay).
OTHER PROFESSIONAL/EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE
Science Library and Lab Assistant (work study: Jan 2009-April 2009)
University of Michigan Dearborn School of Education
Responsible for organizing and maintaining resources in the Science Education Library and two laboratories.
Lunch worker (2003)
National Heritage Academies Metro Campus
Prepared lunches and supervised students during recess.
Teacher aide/secretary-oncall (1995-1996)
Garden City Public Schools
● Yearbook Coordinator for Madison Elementary in Westland, MI. (2008-2009).
● Junior Achievement (February 2007) Westside Multicultural Academy in Detroit, teaching 4-5 social studies lessons to 2nd grade students.
● Wayne County Family Center (1997-present). Crafts with kids, organized and delivered Christmas gifts for families transitioning from the shelter, and helped to prepare and work an Easter celebration for families currently living there.
● PTA/PTO (2001-present). Helped in classrooms, curriculum nights, carnivals, and supervised students during lunch and field trips.